Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Minimus maximae



Anna Piaggi via The Sartorialist

"If you become a billionaire, would you stop treating your wardrobe in such a pragmatic way?" 

The question popped from my younger sister during our family Thanksgiving dinner as I was explaining to my perplexed parents why I was wearing only "new" clothes at the dinner. I knew I should have worn something they already saw before to avoid that situation... Nevertheless, it was a good question and I didn't really know what to answer at the moment. 
"I guess no, why for?" I finally said. Why would I need to manage my wardrobe if I had a closet the size of my current apartment and money to empty Holt Renfew weekly? 


The turnover in my wardrobe has been indeed quite fast in the last few months as I am selling and tossing away a numerous amount of barely used clothes to replace them with new items from my wish list. The whole effort aims at creating a rather minimal but complete wardrobe of quality garments. 

I have often wondering if my recent attraction for minimalism as an expression of quantity rather than a form of aesthetics stemmed from my limited budget or from a genuinely desire to live with less.  But I never paused and frankly thought about it. My budget must have an preponderant weight in the balance. To what extend? I don't know, but I don't think it is the sole explanation...

Although I admire the uniqueness of fashion icons like Anna Piaggi and Anna Dello Russo, there is something in their ever changing electric style that triggers headaches in my migrainous mind. Something that made me uneasy when I used to have over 300 pairs of shoes and 30 coats... 

I used to think that it was culpability of my consumerist lifestyle, always wanting more and never being satisfied, while others are starving elsewhere on the globe. Although I found it is slightly plausible and praiseworthy, I have to be realistic with myself. I don't really have altruistic thoughts when I am looking at my closet or hesitating to buy yet another pair of flats.  

It might be that emptiness I am always talking about...Filling inner holes with materialistic things. Isn't this blog all about the catharsis of those inner demons pushing me to fill these holes in that rather shallow way? Time will tell. I am still in the midst of the process of healing to express a rational opinion on that...

What about the fact of filling the physical space in my apartment. My clothes used to take a lot of space in my bedroom...They were in the closet, in the cabinets, on the wall, under the bed, etc. The last time I moved, I had more boxes of clothes and shoes than anything else...
As a person whose mind ressembles a post-apocalyptic city in ruins, I need order around me to balance that inner chaos. I used to feel as overwhelmed in front my overpacked closet as I felt in front my disorganized desk when I had too much work to do. I didn't know where to look, what to pick, what to start with. I didn't have any structure. Any guideline to tell me where I am at.  Where I am heading.

I needed to minimize that wardrobe to know where I am going with it and how it serves me as a consider a wardrobe to be more than just a pile of clothes. And looking at a neatly ordered closet of items that have all been coveted, that I am well aware of the existence and that serve a specific purpose really soothes me. It soothes my morning routines.

I tend to think (to hope) that the volume of the sartorial preoccupations in my mind would decrease proportionately to the volume occupied by my garments. I cannot cry victory just yet, but I am heading in the right direction.

So even if I become a multimillionaire, I will probably never own Mrs Piaggi wardrobe. Not knowing everything that hides in there would annoy me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment